Update: I’ve set up a permanent page for this script, go there for the latest version.
I’ve written a Greasemonkey script for Firefox to add some functionality to the Media Lens Message Board. For now, it does the following:
- Adds a button to each thread that will collapse/uncollapse the thread when clicked. Button also shows number of messages in the thread.
- Adds “Collapse all” and “Expand all” buttons to collapse/expand all threads on a page.
An image might demonstrate better:
Installing the script
- This only works in the Firefox web browser, so install that first if needed – getfirefox.com
- In Firefox, click here to download and install the Greasemonkey add-on
- Once Greasemonkey is installed, and Firefox restarted, click here to download and install the ‘mlmb’ user script (big green Install button on the right).
- Go to the Media Lens Message Board website and the buttons should appear.
- To temporarily revert to the normal MLMB, click the Greasemonkey icon in Firefox to turn it off. Then reload the MLMB page.
A few points to note:
- The script remembers which threads you’ve collapsed by storing the info in Firefox. In other words it’s not connected to your MLMB account, and so collapsed threads won’t be remembered on another computer.
- To avoid filling up the Firefox store, collapsed threads are remembered for the first three pages (approx), which should hopefully be sufficient.
There are probably more useful tweaks this script could do. Please leave any suggestions in the comments or on the message board and I’ll see what I can do (time allowing).
To anyone who is reading this and hasn’t heard of Media Lens, I recommend their website and media alerts for insights into the role the mainstream media plays in our society, especially from the UK perspective. The message board is a better source of daily information on what is really going on in today’s world than any of the mainstream media channels/newspapers.